It all began back in Alice Sutter’s North Beach living room on Nov. 10, 1958 with 13 dedicated women. Concerned about rapid development on LBI and the disappearance of native trees and shrubs, they called themselves “The Garden Club of Long Beach Island” and set their goals: preservation, conservation and beautification.
Adopting the motto “Watch Us Grow,” the club has done just that for more than half a century. Here’s a look back at some significant milestones.
1960 Became a Federated Garden Club of The National Council of State Garden Clubs Inc
1961 First Holiday Tour of Homes
1969 First Standard Flower Show
1970 Dedication of the Edith Duff Gwinn Garden in Barnegat Light
1987 Incorporated as a non-profit in the State of New Jersey
1987 First Garden Tour
1988 First Scholarship Program established.
1999 Obtained tax-exempt charity status from the IRS.
2001 First Official Newsletter mailed
2004 Beach Haven Library Garden established.
2016 Veteran’s Garden at LBIF established and maintained.
2017 Blue Star Memorial dedicated at the Beach Haven Library Garden.
2018 Environmental Committee created.
Click on image to enlarge.